Join ASPE

Home Forums Student Teams Experience with online security: how to protect personal data?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Susan
      Participant

Greetings everyone! I recently had a not so pleasant incident: after registering on one website, scammers started asking for my personal phone number. I’m feeling a bit uneasy. Are there any ways I can keep myself safe in situations like this?

Paige
      Participant

Hi, I’m really sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Safety in the online world is a really important topic. I understand your concern. To protect my personal phone number, I decided to use a temp phone number when registering on sites like this. This allows me to remain anonymous and not reveal my real number. Moreover, it prevents spam and unwanted calls to my main number. I am sure that this is a really effective way to protect yourself in such situations.

Kally
      Participant

Hello there, I know what it feels like cause the same happened to me and I was so worried as well, but it was a lesson to learn and since then I have never used my phone number for verification. There is a great solution to fix this issue, it’s using a disposable phone number for verification purposes

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Kally.
      Olivia
      Participant

Hi everyone! Thanks for the information. I hadn’t previously heard about the possibility of using a temporary phone number to register on websites. It sounds really tempting and convincing. I will definitely consider this option to protect my privacy online. Thanks for the tips

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.