2021 ASPE Student Challenge
Preliminary Plan: 2021 Minneapolis, Nov 1-5 (Could be virtual)
Student Challenge Power Point Download
Students are provided (Aug 25, 2021) with:
- NewWayXY air-bearing (10 mm2 travel range) with Heidenhain LIKgo line scales – 78 nm resolution
- Motus Mechanical Flexure – based scribe tool (Z ) mechanism with feedback sensing using Lion Capacitance probe Chardon Tool Diamond scribing tool.
- Sample substrates – 20 x 20 mm Copper coated Si wafer held on a vacuum chuck •Open Hardware and LabVIEW Software to control the stages and flexure mechanism.
- CPM, UNC Charlotte developed 16 bit DAQ with 3 Channel current amplifiers to operate voice coil actuators Consulting sessions with experts in the various fields will be provided. – between Sep 1 & Nov 1.
- Means to gage progress at the school.
- Means to be able to ship a few samples to Zeiss Industrial Metrology – before progress report in Oct 1st.
- Means to either measure the final samples at the conference or ship 2 weeks before Nov 1st to the Zeiss.
- At the conference, room with meals and drinks.
- Recognition to all, and monetary prices to the top 3 schools ($4 , $2 and $1 Ks)
- Grading rubric will allow for machine improvements but points are only given for manufacturing processes & results.
School needs access to:
- Clean/dry air (around 80 psi).
- National Instruments myRIO Controller.
Committee Members – 2021
- Luis A. Aguirre – 3M Company <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Kumar Arumugam – UNC Charlotte <email@example.com>
- Dipankar Behara – UT Austin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Paul Brackman – Zeiss <email@example.com>
- Raymond C. Cady – Corning, <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Jacob Cole – UNC Charlotte <email@example.com>
- Liam G Connolly – UT Austin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Tim Dalrymple <email@example.com>
- Drew Devitt – New Way bearings<Drew.Devitt@gmail.com>
- Chunjie Fan – UNC Charlotte <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mark T. Kosmowski – Electro-Scientific Industries, Inc., <email@example.com>
- Mark Schmitt <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Don Martin – Martin Mason LLC <email@example.com>
- Senajith Bandara Rekawa – Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Nilabh Roy – Canon Nanotechnologies <email@example.com>
- Stuart Smith – UNC Charlotte <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Alex Sohn – Facebook Reality Labs <email@example.com> Trevor Stolber – 3M company <firstname.lastname@example.org>