Call for Papers
2022 Summer Topical Meeting
Advancing Precision in Additive Manufacturing
Dimensional accuracy and surface finish in additive manufacturing (AM)
• State of the art: What level of precision is achievable?
• Functional specifications for form and finish
• Prediction and modeling of dimensional errors and surface topography
• Developments in fabricating lattice structures with high integrity
• Diversity in scale of features: large-scale–to–micro-nano
• Precision in the broader AM context: PBF, FFF, DED, WAAM, TPL, etc.
Design for manufacturing
• Design rules and tolerancing for AM
• Topology optimization in the context of AM and achieving precision
• Novel designs for flexures and kinematic couplings
• Metallurgy and fatigue issues in high-cycle precision applications
Characterizing the performance of AM machines
• In situ process monitoring, e.g. melt zone temperature, powder bed
• In-process measurement of workpiece shape and topography
• Using artifacts to assess machine performance; round-robin testing
• Holistic views of the control system, process feedback, correction
• Machine learning to conquer the complex AM parameter space
• Certifying AM equipment capabilities and material properties
• Industrial demands for ASTM & ISO standards
Integrating AM into a holistic manufacturing process
• Cost-benefit trade-offs of using AM within a complex process chain
• Engineered partnerships between AM and secondary finishing
• Kinematic tooling or pallets for repeatable part handling
• Surface topography measurements on rough as-built surfaces
• Dimensional metrology of internal features using computed tomography
• Multi-sensor approaches, data fusion, and machine learning
• Complex form measurement, registration, and fitting of point clouds
• Measurement of 3D lattice strut dimensional accuracy and integrity
• Characterization of internal defects and voids
Short abstracts due April 1, 2022
Submitted short abstracts are intended for committee review and not publicly available (released). Extended abstracts are included as part of the conference proceedings published the week of the conference when they are made available to all attendees.
- April 1, 2022: Deadline for short abstract submissions.
- April 15, 2022: Notification of the results of the selection committee.
- June 1, 2022: Deadline for submission of the final extended abstract for publication in the conference proceedings